Saturday, November 1, 2014

Baltic Sea

About 36 hours after I returned from Belgium, my host family and I left for a 4.5 hour car ride to a cute little beach town on the Baltic Sea. However, not before throwing up that morning because somehow I got some type of stomach issue. Yes, I was sick for most of the trip, but it mostly meant my stomach couldn't handle food, which was a shame because we went to some great restaurants. After a few days, I got some medicine, which worked, so it could have been way worse.

Here was my favorite part! On the first day, we immediately went to the beach, where it was incredibly windy so my host sister decided to get a kite. It was the first time I have ever flown a kite, and it was so much fun! It was pretty easy to do though since the wind was particularly strong. I had a great time. 

Let me clarify the whole going to the beach thing. This was not the warm, lay on the hot sand with the sun shining down on you type of beach that my California based readers might think of. This place is in Northern Germany and next to water, so warm isn't an adjective I'd use. This place was pretty cold for me, with temperatures averaging in the mid to high 40s Fahrenheit. 

One thing that was pretty cool was went to this sand sculpture exhibition, and it was basically the bible in these huge sand sculptures. 
We also did this train tour of the surrounding towns because they also have some historical significance. 
There was a house and everything was upside down. It made for some pretty cool photos. 


To make up for the fact I had all of 10 photos in my last blog, I'll make this one mostly photos of my 
trip instead of talking about it.


Baltic Sea in German is Ostsee, and Ahlbeck is a town.

Flags represent countries that lay on the Baltic Sea


Any still moment is a photo opp with my host mom. I sat down for a sec and then I'm told to smile




Very exciting for me

The kite...


We went inside an old Russian Submarine

A lot harder than it looks...

...and it's gone


Look at the bottom of the ramp and there are two little snails. When I saw it, I thought it was hilarious and a fun touch. 









Germany/Poland border 
Poland















This is a lake not the Baltic Sea, by the way.



No comments:

Post a Comment