Saturday, September 20, 2014

Daily Routine

I could easily say my daily life is about 75% less hectic than that in the US. That is okay with me, and I am keeping myself busy here. 

This is just a general overview of how my weekday is spent, but of course some days I do way more than others.
6:00 wake up

6:45 leave for school

7:30 school starts (it's funny because in Spain this is the time I woke up, and here it's when school starts)

2:00 arrive home from school

2:00-6:00 this is the time I get done whatever I need to get done: blog writing, journal writing, homework, reading, college applications, relaxing. At least one hour during this time is devoted to learning German. Other times I run errands and go grocery shopping with my host mom. 

6:00 dinner

7:30-9:30 watch TV with my host family or read

I'm usually asleep by 10pm

My host dad drives my host sister and me to school everyday, which is about 15-20 minutes away. I take the bus home, which is a public transportation bus and not exclusively a "school bus." The ride is about 30-35 minutes, and I love it. It's peaceful for me to just sit there, look out the window, and listen to music. The walk home is cool because I go through an actual forest, and it smells like pine. 

Maybe once or twice a week I take a 1 hour nap (thanks to Spain). Wednesdays I have volleyball practice, and I get home at about 5:30. Maybe once or twice a week I go running to this hill in my village. When you look out from the top of the hill there is basically nothing, but it's still pretty. 

I live in a very small village, so of course it takes time to adapt. However, I'm getting used to how everything is here. 

In unrelated news, over the weekend I tried baking chocolate chip cookies with a few friends, and they only came out okay. Brown sugar and vanilla extract are different things here than in America; however, I tried it out anyways. The cookies tasted like sugar. I'll probably bake them again, and I'm sure with a few adjustments, they'll be better. It was fun to do, though. My friends and host family didn't think they were that terrible. Given the German way, though, they would tell me if they didn't like them.

Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment