Thursday, September 4, 2014

First week of school

Let me get straight to the point with what this post elaborates on: school is fantastic! 

The original plan was for me to join the 11th grade and on the first day I was to pick my classes to get my schedule. But things never really do go according to plan, do they? The woman who does the scheduling wasn't there Monday morning (but came later), so I went to my host sister's classes for most the day (Vanessa is in the 11th grade). Later on, I was able to choose my classes. I didn't know that this was going to happen when I chose my classes, but then when she handled me my schedule my the classes I had chosen, I immediately noticed that on Mondays and Tuesdays I finish at 1:15 and on Thursdays I'm done at 12. Every week. It's quite wonderful. This Wednesday after school I'm starting volleyball, which I'm very excited for. I can't explain enough how kind, supportive, patient, and welcoming everyone in my class and my teachers are. The Germans I've met here defy the stereotype that they're cold and shy. I'm really happy that they decided to put me in the twelfth grade. 

Because I don't really have homework, after school I study German for at least an hour. It sounds boring, but believe it or not, I love studying. I try to make it fun, too. I'll listen to a German song I like then translate it or create games that will help me learn word genders (my biggest problem). It doesn't feel like it is making a difference but Vanessa says she has noticed major improvement, so that makes me happy. I also usually journal, work on college apps/essays, and simply relax after school. 

Here's an interesting story: At the end of what was my first music class, the teacher was asking people to say one thing they had learned that day. I didn't think he would call on me, but he did (I'd like to remind you that I try to remain mute and unnoticed in my classes). Somehow my brain registered him asking me "Did you understand the lesson today," and I responded matter of factly with "No." The class was silent for a few moments, and the teacher looks a little stunned. Then he smirks and says "Um, okay..." The class proceeds to bust up laughing while I have an internal panic attack. Turns out the teacher was also asking me to state something I learned in class and I had given a flat out "no." My internal panic attack converted into an external one because I just disrespected a teacher (on my first day nonetheless), and I wasn't exactly able to explain to him my confusion because of the language barrier I'm dealing with. Everyone assured me it was okay, and the teacher is a cool guy so he wasn't offended. 

These are the courses I'm in:

PE- We're doing our first unit in Judo, which is super cool and a new thing for me to try! Also, the PE classes are separated by gender, which I thought was a bit interesting.

Biology- I'm pretty sure the teacher pities me, which is fine. I just kinda chill towards back with my German dictionary and look up words. Although, I can understand my biology teacher best out of all my teachers so I can pick up a lot of what she's saying!

English- This class is intense for a foreign language class. However, on Fridays I have German lessons with a teacher instead of going to English

German- I can already tell my German teacher is going to be my favorite (it's funny how in Spain my Spanish teacher was also my favorite). He doesn't speak a word of English, but he is so energetic my brain just really wants to comprehend what he says. We analyze poems in class, and I translate them to build my vocabulary at home.

History- I also think I'm really going to like this class and the teacher. I've been told I was put in an advanced history class, so it's harder and they meet more times a week.

Geography- It's a chill class, we only meet once a week. I pretty much just study the atlas in class.

Math- My textbook says "Analytical Geometry and Linear Alegra." I'll understand the the first 15 min of the lesson then it gets into unknown territory. 

French- French isn't really learned in this class, which is kinda annoying because I was hoping to actually improve my French here. My teacher is more of a "let's talk about culture and experience and languages" type of person rather than learn from a book, which I can appreciate. 

Political Science- I really wish I had this class more than once a week. I can't understand a single word this man mutters. He legitimately looks and speaks like Santa Claus. It's a small class and mostly guys. While they talk about who knows what, I look all the polices cartoons in the textbook. 

Music- This isn't really a goof around class. People in the class actually know a lot about music and we're currently learning how visual art connects to music throughout different time periods. It's pretty interesting. 

I'm really excited to improve my German so I can better understand and participate in class because I know I can learn a lot from most of these classes that I've never learned before.

Shannon




No comments:

Post a Comment